When the pulp, or inner nerve tissues, of your tooth become infected or damaged, a root canal is often the best treatment to restore the health and function of the tooth. Our dentist and team have received advanced training, and we use sedation techniques and anesthesia to ensure that your procedure is as comfortable as possible.
Root canal therapy is an endodontic treatment often preformed when injury or decay reaches deep into the tooth, beyond the outer layer of enamel, and infects the nerve tissues of your tooth. Root canal treatment can prevent your tooth from dying and requiring extraction.
During your root canal procedure, our dentist will perform the following steps:
– Examine and X-ray the tooth to determine that a root canal is the proper treatment.
– Numb the tooth and place a small protective sheet around it to prevent saliva or other particles from interfering with the procedure.
– Make an opening in the crown of the tooth.
– Use small instruments to reach into the pulp chamber and root canals. This removes damaged pulp and nerves, and shapes the inside of the canals for a filling.
– Fill the root canals with a filling and places a temporary cap or filling on the tooth’s crown to cover the opening.
– Replace the temporary restoration with a permanent one once it has been custom-made in a dental laboratory.
To help you gain a better understanding of what you can expect during your root canal treatment, we invite you to review the images and video below. Please call Smile Studio Dental at 703-982-2222 if you have any questions about receiving root canal therapy in Falls Church, Virginia, and to schedule your appointment with Dr. Eli Janabi.