When you crack a tooth, Dr. Eli Janabi can provide treatments to restore the health, strength, function and appearance of the tooth. We will carefully examine your tooth to determine how severe the crack is and develop a customized treatment plan to meet your needs. Call Smile Studio Dental today at 703-982-2222 to schedule your appointment with our dentist and learn more about cracked teeth treatments in Falls Church, Virginia.
There are many types of cracked teeth. Generally speaking, all cracked teeth will exhibit the same symptoms – pain while chewing, sensitivity to temperature, a release of biting pressure and intermittent pain. This can make it difficult to diagnose the exact source of your pain and discomfort. When you visit Smile Studio Dental, our dentist will determine which type of crack you have and which treatment will be most appropriate.
Here are some of the most common types of cracks:
- Craze lines – craze lines are tiny cracks in the outer enamel. They are superficial, and are not usually a cause for concern. Craze lines are typically treated for cosmetic purposes.
- Fractured cusps – these are cracks which occur when the raised points on top of the teeth become weakened and break off. Dental crowns are usually the recommended treatment for this type of crack.
- Cracked tooth – a crack which extends from the chewing surface towards the root. In some cases the crack extends below the gum line. Root canal therapy is the most common treatment for this type of crack.
- Split tooth – a split tooth occurs when a cracked tooth goes untreated, causing the tooth to break into distinct segments. Depending on the severity of the damage, our dentist may not be able to save the tooth.
- Vertical root fracture – this crack begins at the root and extends to the chewing surface of the tooth. Teeth with vertical root fractures will most likely need to be extracted.
If you have any questions about cracked teeth or to schedule a consultation with our dentist, call our office today.